Held as part of EU Sustainable Energy Week (EUSEW) 2020, this webinar took place on 19 June at 15:00 CEST.
Europe has been a pioneer in the development of ocean energy technologies. The vast majority of capacity is installed in Europe and most projects around the globe use European technology. However, the rest of the world is catching up. Canada, the US and China are developing their own markets and new domestic champions are starting to emerge. Now is the time to act to make the most of Europe’s first-mover advantage, both at home and abroad.
This webinar aims to concretely address this issue by providing useful examples and feedback to policy makers and other stakeholders. IRENA, a global authority on the development of renewable energy, will provide a high-level overview of the state of ocean energy worldwide to set the scene for those unfamiliar with the sector. As the voice of Europe’s ocean energy industry, Ocean Energy Europe will connect EU policy actions with the current successes and future priorities of the sector as it approaches industrialisation.
*This webinar also featured the launch of the ETIP Ocean Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (SRIA).*
The SRIA presents the priority RD&I actions that must be focused upon in the years ahead in order for ocean energy to meet its SET Plan targets.
Introductory speaker – Launch of the ETIP Ocean SRIA:
• Patrick Child, Deputy Director-General, DG-RTD, European Commission
• Rémi Gruet, CEO, Ocean Energy Europe
• Roland Roesch, Deputy Director, Innovation and Technology Centre, International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
– Drew Blaxland, Director of Turbine and Engineering, SIMEC Atlantis Energy
– Sarah Thomas, Project Manager, DP Energy
– Martin Edlund, CEO, Minesto
– Eric van der Eijnden, CEO, Tidal Bridge